Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dutch for a Day





My children have participated in a Dutch Festival for the past couple of years. We are not Dutch, but that doesn't seem to stop them.

They have authentic Dutch dress, all the way down to the wooden shoes. They have learned authentic dances and have eaten authentic Dutch food. If you've never have a pofferjte, you are missing out. They are little tiny pancakes soaked in buttered rum. Covered in powdered sugar. YUM.

The parades in these festivals are something else. Thousands of wooden shoes clomp together in rhythm. Our local high school band even marches in wooden shoes and it really adds to their performance.

It's funny to see my girls willingly hold hands with boys. Not a peep out of them about boy germs. Same goes for the boys. They get out there and do their job, and save the cooties for the playground.

I'm glad the weekend is over. The schedule was grueling. School in the morning, lunch, dance at 1:00, ride floats at 2:00, eat bad food until 4:00, get my littlest to take a nap til 6:00, hair and makeup for Sound of Music at 6:30, show starts at 8:00, home by 11:30. Wash, rinse, repeat. Sunday was very welcome!

I wish we knew a little better about our own heritage. The Dutch people around here are very proud of their heritage and the festival is fun. I do get a little tired of hearing "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much", but other than that, it's neat to be part of a celebration like this.
My grandma always told me our family was part cowboy and part Indian. I'll settle for being strong stock of some hardy pioneer woman.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mr.Brian said...

The Sound of Music was wonderful!!!!!!Everyone did a great job,I loved it!!!!!
And yes by Sunday this Dutch boy was out of gas.

Sue said...

cool pictures.

blackbird said...

K's mother is 100% Dutch - I need to remember to show her these pictures. She'll love them.

Good for your kids!

Anonymous said...

This is great! We live by a very Dutch community, actually lived in it for 7 years. They have a festival in the fall--similar to yours--called Kermis. I love these sorts of events!