Saturday, September 29, 2007

Cravings

I had my first "crunchy" walk of fall yesterday. I stayed very close to the curb to get the maximum depth of leaves to take full advantage of the crunch. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person, but I didn't care.

The birds are beginning to abandon their nests and I am all of the sudden ready to build mine.

I want to paint the living room, get out the sewing machine, start my own esty shop, finish the knitting and crocheting things I left behind in May, write a book... maybe even blog a bit! I want everything clean, clean, clean and smelling fresh. I want open windows and hot tea and bread in the oven and friends at my table.

It makes me so sad sometimes, that these moments are just spurts for me. I want to make a lovely home (a la Sally Clarkson) where there is peace and good smells and quiet talks. But mostly there is chaos and a busy feeling and messes and piles and calendars and STUFF!

I really am not busy just for the sake of being busy. I tend to dislike people who sigh and tell me how much busier they are than everyone else. I have the job, two teenagers and two littles and laundry and errands, no different from any other gal out there. I love it. I just wish I did it better, balanced easier.

So, all this to say, fall is here! With it's slower pace and cooler 'in-door' days I hope to get the initiative to get things pulled together. And figure out how to keep it together. I have the desire, it's just to the point where I don't know how to start.

But I will start! First thing Monday. :)

With that, I will leave you with this quote that I saw on someone else's blog recently... If your house is really a mess and a stranger comes to the door, greet him with "Who could have done this? We have no enemies." - Phyllis Diller

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that quote. I'll have to remember it next time I have a surprise visitor. :)

And I know what you mean about this season and the not wanting to be too busy...that is one of the things I love about moving to a new place. The schedule is non-existent for a short time, and that can truly be bliss.

blackbird said...

GREAT QUOTE!

*carrie* said...

Amy,

I agree about being busy for its own sake, and I can relate to having a list of projects, piles of paper and clutter, and a desire to have a home that is a place of welcome and rest.

Sarah Louise said...

oh, I am with you. And I ADORE crunching at fall. We're having a heat spell here, so crunch season is not here yet...

and stuff, oh how I know stuff!!