Monday, March 31, 2008

A sure cure for my overwhelmedness

I found this article at zen habits that is very appealing. Go there to read the whole thing, but here is the short list.

Do one think at a time.

Do it slowly and deliberately.

Do it completely. (This is not a fly lady essential. I think this must be one of the reasons I can't follow that program. Who wants to stop making the bed when the timer rings if the pillow cases aren't on?)

Do less.

Put space between things (I don't think this means evertime I finish a chore I get to play a round of scramble. Because we all know that you can't play JUST ONE!)

Develop rituals.

Designate time for certain things.

Devote time to sitting.

Smile and serve others.

Make cleaning and cooking become meditation.

Think about what is necessary.

Live Simply.

Wow. Pretty common sense stuff, huh? Sounds like a Jesus way to live, too.

I think I will try to post about each essential as I'm working on it.

I sort of feel like I have to get everything in order before I can begin my more zen-like but I just read a C.S. Lewis quote through the bunny trail of blogs that says something to the effect that successful people are those who seek knowledge while conditions are still unfavorable. Favorable conditions never come. (Go to pink sneakers for the full quote).

Anyone out there have this under control? I'm wondering what your life looks like.

2 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I'm a serious multi-tasker. I do laundry, listen to the TV, I'm on the computer and cooking dinner all at the same time.

One thing I have always done is try to "be in the moment" when I'm doing housework. I can almost meditate while I'm ironing clothes or vacuuming the rugs or doing the dishes. It makes it seem like it's not so much of a chore.

Anonymous said...

My life is NOT under control, but I accept that as a side effect of having young children living with me. I totally agree with you though, in all things we're supposed to do this (it's Biblical!)--and I have tried to sloooooow down to make less things count more.